Ohrid, 20-24 September 1998, hosted the 1st Congress of Ecologists of Macedonia with International Participation. Plenary lectures were published and printed in the Book of Plenary Lectures. According to the topic and the field of research, participants through their papers presented their findings and scientific achievements within 10 ecological working sections, as follows:
- Terrestrial ecosystems;
- Aquatic ecosystems;
- Biodiversity, its protection, promotion and sustainable use;
- Ecological monitoring;
- Pollution of the environment and ecotoxicology;
- Urban ecology;
- Systems and measures for environmental protection;
- Ecology and society: the role of institutions and NGOs in the system;
- Ecological education and training.
The congress was attended by over 200 participants from Yugoslavia, Croatia, Bulgaria and Macedonia. A total of 177 papers were presented, out of which only 97 complete papers were published and printed in the two-volume Proceedings of the 1st Congress of Ecologists of Macedonia with International Participation.
Presented findings and interest shown by participants indicate that intense ecological research at ecosystem level had been conducted in the preceding period in Macedonia and the region, with growing interest in the causes of environmental pollution..